Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Claire's Birth

Claire Dalley

Born May 12th, 2012 at 12:15 AM
7lbs 7oz and 20.5 inches long.




Our beautiful baby girl finally came! I woke up Friday the 11th at 2:00 in the morning with cramps that were coming about every ten minutes. I was supposed to work that day and after these cramps lasted for a few hours I decided to call in sick because I wasn't sure if it was true or false labor. Of course they stopped at about 6 so I went back to sleep for a few hours. The cramping came back around 11. Not knowing whether I was in true labor or false labor I just went about my day and did laundry, packed our hospital bag, walked around the block, etc. I periodically would time my contractions but they never really got close together, just stronger. I was waiting for them to get 5 minutes apart like they tell you before going to the hospital. I really didn't want to show up and then have them send me back home because I wasn't dilated enough.

When Aaron got home from work I was still not 100% sure that I was in labor even though my contractions lasted all day. I think I was in denial haha. I had gone to my Dr. the day before (Claire's due date) and was only dilated to a 1cm and only like 20% effaced and she was still pretty high. We decided to induce the next week if I still hadn't gone into labor. I thought for sure I wouldn't go into labor on my own and would hit the 41 week mark. Because of this I thought that I was probably just in false labor.

9 o'clock came around and my contractions were pretty strong at this point. I finally admitted to myself that I was in labor. Realizing that this would probably last through the night I went upstairs to try and get some rest. We took a hypnobirthing class and so I listened to one of my CD's from that to help me relax to go to sleep. Aaron came to check on me about 45 minutes later, my contractions were pretty strong and so I asked him to give me a blessing. Then I got up to go to the bathroom and BAM! My contractions went from every ten minutes to one right after another so we decided to head to the hospital. It took me forever to get to the car because my contractions were coming so quickly. The hospital is less than a mile away from our house which was so nice. Every little bump we hit was horrible. I kept telling Aaron to drive slower haha of course he didn't.

We got to the hospital at about 1030 and got checked into our room. Aaron had to help me get into my gown and into the bed because I couldn't do it myself. After what seemed like for ever my nurse finally came in. The 1st thing I said to her was "I want an epidural". She kinda chuckled and asked what my birthing plans were. Aaron explained to her that I wanted to do it naturally and that we had taken a hypnobirthing class. She suggested to check me 1st and then go from there. I was almost to an 8 when and so she told me that I should try and stick with my plan and that she thought I could do it. I'm so glad she said that because I really did want to do it naturally but in the moment all I could think about was having the pain taken away.

A little bit later by body was wanting to push. My water still hadn't broke and they still hadn't been able to contact my Dr. so the next time the nurse came in I asked her if she could brake my water. She said she wasn't supposed to but that she would "check" me again. After my water broke it was full on pushing and the "ring of fire". I didn't anticipate that pushing was going to hurt so bad. That was the worst part for me! They were never able to get a hold of my Dr. and so the nurse was getting everything ready to deliver the baby while they tried finding another Dr. who worked with mine. After pushing a few times the Dr. came and then what seemed like a million pushes later our perfectly healthy beautiful girl arrived and melted our hearts instantly. She was born at 1215 Saturday morning, which was less then 2 hours from when we arrived at the hospital. Thank heavens too! I can't imagine being in that much pain for any longer. My mom showed up at 1230! She was on a flight from AZ and her flight got delayed a half hour, otherwise she would have made it in time. Looking back now though I am so glad Aaron and I were able to have that experience together. He was such a great support through it all and I am so glad that he coached and supported me through every step.

What an amazing experience! In nursing school I learned all about birth and even helped deliver a few babies on my maternity rotations but never truly realized or felt what an amazing thing it is till I went through it myself. It is truly a miracle! A women's body is so amazing! To be able to grow a human inside of you and then to have the instincts to deliver and take care of them afterwards amazes me. Being able to breast feed is also a miracle. The fact the your body produces exactly what your baby needs is so cool!

Claire has brought such Joy into our lives. I love love love being a mom! It is the best thing in the world. And Aaron is seriously such an amazing dad. She has brought such a sweet spirit into our home and family. We are so in love with her and can't believe she is really ours. We love you baby girl and are so glad you are finally here!


No comments:

Post a Comment