My grandpa passed away in his home on January 24th. He was surrounded by lots of his family when he passed and Aaron and I feel lucky to have been there. It was very surreal but spiritual experience. You could tell that the heavens were so close. About ten minutes after he passed Elder Holland came over (they have known each other for about 40 years) and gave a very wonderful prayer/blessing with all the family. That night my cousin and I stayed the night with my grandma and over the next few days our entire family came into town. It was so great to be with our family to celebrate Bud's life. It was like a family reunion. The viewing and funeral services couldn't have been more perfect. The musical numbers that were performed at the funeral were so amazing! And all the speakers did such a great job. Bud's daughters spoke first, then his stepdaughters, then his CEO of AMSCO, and then Elder Holland. These are a few things that I remember from Elder Holland, but because it was almost a month ago I forgot the details. I wish I would have wrote them down that night.
- Don't get too comfortable here in this life. This is not our home.
- We shouldn't be crying for Bud because he is in a happier better place. Our tears should only be from the memories of him that we will miss.
- There is only 3 things we take from this life to the next. Character. Ordinances. Family.
- He spoke directly to the grand kids saying that we need to make sure we do everything to return with our families. Family was the number one thing to grandpa Bud and he will be so sad if there are any chairs empty.
- He told stories of Grandpa Bud. He said if there was randomly a pair of shoes on his door step he knew exactly who they were from. (Bud LOVED to shop for other people)
At the cemetery they had a few men from the military there. One played bag pipes as they brought the casket and then the others did an amazing job folding the flag that was on the casket and giving it to my grandma. It was a really neat thing to have them there.
Grandpa Bud was the most kind, loving, even tempered, caring person that I have ever known. I will miss his soft hands, kind words, kisses and hugs, and sweet presence. He lived and amazing life and was an example to so many. I know that he is happy on the other side though and is probably loving being hard at work!
Link to his obituary.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=raymond-phillip-rasmussen&pid=155651381
No comments:
Post a Comment